Here are a few of the Japanese symbols in the painting. Big kudos to Aya for being my art director on this. :-)
- When the cat is holding up the left paw, it is beckoning people to come in.
- When the cat is holding up the right paw, it is beckoning money. I've noticed that most of the cats I see are holding up their right paw. Hmm...
- Both paws beckons both money and people. I love it when ancient symbolism works out so logically.
- Red is a lucky color
- Calico cats are lucky.
- Turtles and cranes together are lucky
- The hammer is a traditional festival hammer.
- The cushion is a traditional square Japanese sitting cushion.